Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Salmon for dinner, mercury toxicity for desert? (part 1)

So it's my second post and it was just going to be a short and sweet recipe of what I had for dinner last night, however it just so happened that today I read some studies and listened to a few podcasts and the issue of fish and mercury toxicity was discussed at length.  I decided to go into detail with a nutritional overview of the meal tomorrow and discuss why mercury levels aren't typically a concern when eating fish, but for today I'll stick to my original plan of last nights dinner.

I like to base my meal around what protein I'm going to be using, because well... I love meat.  Last night I decided to have salmon as it was basically all I had left and I was far too lazy to go to the grocery store.  I recently bought Practical Paleo, a nutritional reference guide and cookbook, written by one half of a duo of girls who have a great wellness blog/podcast called balanced bites - check them out!  There was an amazing recipe for lemon rosemary broiled salmon.  It was delicious and super easy.  As you can probably guess the ingredients are: Salmon(preferably wild and sustainably sourced), dried rosemary, sea salt and fresh lemon.  That's it.  The only other thing you need is a source of fat to grease the pan and put a little bit on top of each filet.  I would suggest butter or coconut oil - I opted for butter(from grass fed cattle ideally).  Pop in the oven Broil for 10-12 minutes and that's all folks.

Next I typically make a random assortment of sides usually consisting of a slightly starchy vegetable and something green.  Last night was pumpkin pancakes with banana and cinnamon, again from Practial Paleo.  I don't want to give all their recipes away but I will say these was completely grain free and DELICIOUS.  My green tonight was kale chips.  If you haven't tried these they are super easy, nutritious and really satisfy that chip craving of something crunchy and salty.  I will do another post about how to make your own kale chips - perfect late night snack.  Some pictures of each below...  I am going to assume you can tell which ones are which.  If not then I give you an electronic smack.  Partially joking of course.  Don't forget to check back tomorrow to see the nutritional benefits of this meal! 

What's your favorite way to make salmon? Leave me a comment and let me know!

It's late and I'm tired so talk at ya tomorrow people! Have a good one!

Matt




1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the comment, Don. Ill be posting part 2 tonight and I'll make the pancakes for you guys sometime :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your feedback! Leave a comment below.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...